If you're already familiar with our terminology, then you can skip this for now. If this is your first time working with our data, then we recommend giving this a quick read and revisiting it later.
Terms referring to people
- User: A unique user account
- Player: A player object, not necessarily linked to a User
- Participant (AKA "Attendee"): A player’s representation in a tournament. This is for everyone that has registered or been added to a tournament (Spectators and competitors)
- Entrant: When a User registers for an Event we create an Entrant. The Entrant is the Participants representation in the Event. An Entrant is either a Team or Player in an Event.
Terms referring to parts of competition
- League (AKA "Circuit"): A collection of Events which may have a leaderboard and a finale. Typically takes place over a longer time period (weeks-months) and may contain Sub-Leagues (which are also Leagues)
- Tournament: Contains one or more Events and typically takes place over 1-3 days
- Event: A competition containing one or more phases
- Phase: A collection of one or more phase groups
- Phase Group (AKA "Pool"): A collection of one or more sets
- Set (AKA "Match"): A collection of one or more games
- Game: A game is the atom of competition. It has entrants who place 1st, 2nd, etc.
Terms referring to placement
- Seed: A Seed is a attached to an Entrant or a Progression. A Seed is the Entrant's initial position in a Phase and Phase Group
- Standing: An entrant's current or final placement within a Phase Group (e.g. "first place in Pool A1") or within an Event (e.g. "first place in Melee Singles")
Terms referring to game data
- Videogame: The Videogame played in an Event (e.g. "Splatoon 2")
- Character: If applicable, Characters may be reported for a Game. Characters are what each Entrant was playing as in that Game (e.g. "Guile" in Street Fighter V)
- Stage (AKA "Map", "Level"): If applicable, a Stage may be reported for a Game. It is the in-Videogame location where that Game was played (e.g. "Final Destination" in Super Smash Bros. Melee)